A British bombshell: UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, per the AP. The Thames Valley Police said it was "assessing" reports that the former prince sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein. (King Charles previously said the palace would cooperate with any police investigation.)
Authorities did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor turns 66 on Thursday, notes the BBC. "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,'' the statement said. "It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."
Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor. "We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time," the statement said. Andrew has long denied any wrongdoing.